More than 40,000 borrowers with regulated interest-only mortgages will reach the end of their term this year, owing an average £104,000, according to trade body UK Finance.
But almost half of these homeowners are over 65 and have more than £100,000 remaining on their mortgage.It is the first of three significant waves of the loans maturing, as estimated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
Borrowers in this first wave of maturities typically took out the loan in the late 1980s or early 1990s, backed by an endowment policy, ISA or pension.
In total, around 60,000 interest-only mortgages will mature this year, including the 41,000 regulated contracts and 19,000 non-regulated contracts (mortgages as a product only became regulated from 2004).
Having a Solar Protect Tax Investigation Insurance policy at your disposal means that should you be one of the many 1000's of businesses or individuals that are selected by HMRC each year to look into your tax affairs your own accountant (your tax return agent) can get on and defend you robustly.
You have the peace of mind knowing that your accountant's (your tax return agent) fees will be paid by the insurance without any Excess for you to find.
Tax Investigation Insurance is an insurance policy that will fully reimburse your accountants (your tax return agent) fees up to £100,000 if you are subject to enquiry by or dispute with HMRC.
A Solar Protect policy will enable your Accountant (your tax return agent) to:
- Deal with any correspondence from HMRC
- Attend any meeting with HMRC
- Appeal to the First-tier Tribunal or Upper Tribunal
- Having the security of knowing that fees will be met in full will enable your Accountant (your tax return agent) to defend your position robustly
- Premiums are Annual Premiums.
- Premiums are inclusive of 12% IPT.
- Premiums and IPT are due in full in advance / at commencement of scheme.
- There is a NIL excess on all policies.